The major in Global Public Health requires 30 total credits plus a language competency as defined below.
CORE COURSES (9 CREDITS)
- Choose 3 courses* from the following 4 areas:
- Global History
- Global Humanities
- Global Cultures (Anthropology/Society)
- Global Diagnostics (Quantitative)
*We highly recommend that these be upper-level courses that align with the student's topical interest(s).
TRACK COURSES (12 CREDITS)
- PHS 3825, Global Public Health: Challenges & Innovations
- PHS 4050, Public Health Policy
- PHS 3130 and/or 3103, Intro to Health Research Methods or Intro to Epidemiology
- PHS 4991, Capstone Seminar - this course is only taught in Spring semesters
THREE ELECTIVES (9 CREDITS)
- These courses will be selected carefully in consultation with an advisor, taking into account the student’s language proficiency, topic interests, or concentration in a world area. PHS Study Abroad courses in Summer or J-Term may be used.
- Electives must be preapproved for each student
LANGUAGE COMPETENCY (one of the below options)
- One (1) course beyond the 2020 level of any language taught at UVA (or in an approved study-abroad program)
- If a student has reached the 2020 level in one language but does not want to go further with that language, the student can satisfy the requirement by studying a second language and reaching the 1020 level.
- We highly recommend a meaningful global experience directly related to the student's individualized global health focus. The U.S. may be an appropriate site.